The Poirier’s Mission Update 1st Quarter CY 2016
26 March 2016
Dear Friends in Christ:
For many it has been quite some time since you last heard from us so please bear with me. As you know beginning in Sept 2012 I took over as Project Manager for Rebuild Lakeshore. My wife, Naida and I made a 3-5 year commitment as domestic missionaries to assist Lakeshore Baptist Church in rebuilding its church and community. In Aug 2015 we were able to dedicate the new church building. In mid-November we decided to put our home on the market believing we would have a minimum 6-8 months (the average time for a house to sell in Waveland) to finish up and see where God would have us go next.
Well God had other plans and our home sold in just 11 days, with a closing just before Christmas. I made one final inquiry about becoming the full time Chaplain at the local county jail (a position I had been filing as a volunteer for 2 years) but did not see this as a viable option. Enter, Pastor Thomas Winn and Grace Baptist Church, in Jackson, MS. They had been coming and volunteering in Lakeshore for many years and had asked me several times about joining them in constructing their new building when I we were finished on the Gulf coast. We made a call, visited the church again, met with the deacons, prayed a lot and as they say, the rest is history.
Naida and I are now blessed to be in Jackson, MS in our new home. Well, currently only I am in Jackson, Naida is in Puerto Rico until late April. Her mother Fela, is coming to live with us, so Naida is there helping to get her things settled. Please keep Fela in your prayers, she is now undergoing dialysis 3 times a week and this whole move is going to be quite a culture change for her.
Immediate Needs: If anyone is available, I need help in getting the house ready for Naida and her mom’s return, 19th of April.
650 sq. ft. of laminate to install
Structural wall to knock out
French door to add
Electrical work (Mr. Rich and Jim L. stop laughing)
Move gas piping for fireplace
Also, if you have a team looking for a trip over April vacation or anytime this year, the church has a bunch of projects that need accomplishing. I am sure we can find accommodations for a decent size group.
We are just in the planning stages for the new church building but are hopeful we can break ground sometime next year. Please let me know if you are interested.
- Naida’s mom Fela’s health
- Wisdom in shepherding this new project
- Naida’s health, her acid reflux is getting worse again
- That Naida and I will be an asset to the church and community here
- Perseverance in my college classes and guidance on whether to continue this major
- Finances for the new building project
- For the members of Grace Baptist Church, especially Pastors Thomas Winn and Tiago Oliviera
- Pray God will send volunteer groups to support this project
- Lastly, thank you to those who continue to support our mission work financially. We had a significant cut back in funds recently; please pray God will provide the means for us to remain in the mission field. If you wish to help out, please send your contributions to GBC 5536 Ridgewood Rd, Jackson MS 39211
In closing, I want to remind everyone that in addition to the projects here in Jackson, Lakeshore Baptist Church still has a camp to decommission and for the more adventurous there are the projects in Uganda and Columbia I wrote about last fall.
In HIS Service
We appreciate you forwarding this to any groups you think may have an interest in supporting the project(s). Also if you have a project planned now or in the future and want me to pass it on please let me know.